Sunday, February 12, 2012

with the recent post of my clown spot doodle, i wanted to show off the entire drawing featuring the same character. In fact, this picture came first and i just used his head for the spot.

the above drawing is a neat "behind the scenes" as to how i work. I wanted to make a dynamic drawing of this clown character. I started off with the light blue and as you can see, its not a very exciting pose. Very stiff, visually boring, and flat. No sense of depth. I ended up taking his top half and pushed it back into space. I wanted to play with the fact that he is a very tall and skinny character, so getting the proper perspective was essential. By doing so I was reminded of the comic artist "R.Crumb" in particular his popular "keep on truckin'" drawing. I think its a good example of a flat character looking quite dimensional. In any event, I borrowed that same pose and it was exactly how I saw the drawing in my head.

No comments:

Post a Comment