Monday, May 28, 2012

This is why I love animation. You can get away with doing crazy things like this. These are called "smears" and they appear often in traditional animation. I first noticed them as a kid while watching the Looney Tunes, especially in the Roadrunner cartoons. Chuck Jones was notorious for using them (just check out his "Dover Boys" short. Chalk full of em'!)

I try to use smears as much as possible in my animation. I love the technique and the ability to incorporate them in my work is a tip of the hat towards all my animation heroes. The image above is a single frame from my last animation in my Digital Cel class in which a clown entertains the audience with a balloon trick. This is the part when he whips into frame quickly. Smears are usually shot on one's, or shown as a single frame in the sequence. Mine is no exception.

In other news, my film First Bite is nearly completed and will be screened this upcoming Thursday. More to come on that later. I wont be able to post a cut until after it gets entered and judged in a film festival hosted at cartoonbrew.com. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment